- Good quality sourdough or whole grain bread, sliced
- Good quality cheese (English, Celtic or vegan Cheddar, or Gruyere), sliced or preferably shredded
- Laura Ann’s Fabulous Fig, Hollywood Marmalade or Raspberry Habanero jam (pick your fave)
- Olive oil
- Fresh rosemary or other fresh herbs, snipped
*Really, you can try any flavor you like
A classic, updated.
- Drizzle olive oil into a cast iron skillet; swirl to coat.
- Place one slice of the bread in the skillet. Top with the shredded cheese and a spoonful of the jam.
- Place other slice of bread on top, and sprinkle the bread with a little of the snipped rosemary.
- Set the heat to low and partially cover the skillet with a lid; check frequently, using a spatula to inspect the bottom piece of bread.
- When it has turned a golden color, carefully flip it over. (Add a little more olive oil, if necessary.) Sprinkle with a little more of the snipped herbs, and partially cover the skillet again.
- When the bottom piece turns a golden or light brown color, flip the sandwich one more time, for about half a minute, then remove from the skillet to a plate.
- Carefully slice sandwich in half. The cheese should be melted and just starting to ooze out of the sides.