- Pick over the beans and remove any pebbles. Add to a large bowl and cover with water, leaving room for them to double in size. Soak for 8 – 12 hours, then drain when ready to cook.
- In a large pot add the vegetable stock, drained beans, brown onion, carrots, fresh garlic and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for two hours or until the beans are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Using a high-powered blender, carefully puree half of the soup until completely smooth.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and stir in the baby spinach. Bring back to a simmer and let cook for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the raspberry fruit spread and ancho chile powder. Taste and add more ancho chile powder if needed.
- To serve, divide into soup bowls, then swirl in the raspberry-ancho mixture
The soup will keep, covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can also be frozen without the raspberry swirl.