Here is a Jammin' twist on a tea drinking favorite; BAKLAVA.
My amazing granny smith version of apple butter makes this recipe sing like Beyoncé in the shower!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 9” x 13” sheet pan with a little bit of the melted butter.
- Combine finely chopped pecans in a small bowl with the cinnamon, cardamom, and salt.
- If the sheets of phyllo dough are way bigger than your pan, use a sharp knife to trim them to the right size (if they're just an inch or two too big, don't worry about it.)
- Take two sheets of phyllo dough and put them in the bottom of the pan. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top layer with butter. The goal here is not to coat the phyllo dough, so use a light hand. Place two more sheets of phyllo dough in the pan.
- Spread a very thin layer of jam over the phyllo dough. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of the nut mixture.
- Add two more sheets of phyllo, brush with butter, add a few tablespoons of nuts. Repeat this four more times before adding another layer of jam. Then, keep adding phyllo and nut layers until you run out. End with three layers of phyllo on top.
- Brush the top layer with the remaining butter and cut into diamonds.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, bring ¾ cup honey and ½ cup water to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove baklava from oven and evenly pour the honey mixture over the top. Let cool completely before serving.
Thanks again to my bakerguru Michelle R(ockstar) for the recipe and the photo!