- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup LAJ blueberry basil jam
- In a small bowl combine cocoa and boiling water, stirring until smooth. Set aside until completely cooled.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour three 9” layer cake pans.
- In a medium bowl sift flour, soda, salt and baking powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, at high speed, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture in four additions, alternating with cocoa mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture. DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- Divide evenly into prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when pressed with fingertip. Cool in pans 5 minutes and then turn out to cool on racks.
Make Buttercream Frosting
1 cup butter, room temperature, 3-1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar,2 Tbsp heavy cream, 2 tsp vanilla extract - In a bowl whip butter until light and creamy. Add sugar, cream and vanilla. Whip on high speed until light and spreadable.
To assemble: Place first layer on a serving plate. Spread ⅓ cup of blueberry jam on top. On the top of the second layer spread ½ cup of chosen icing, then flip it over and place on top of jam-toped layer. Repeat with third layer, then frost cake all over with butter cream.
Garnish with fresh blueberries or basil leaves or both! :-)