BOURBON-BLOOD ORANGE MARMALADE GLAZED TOFU
Could this have been made with chicken wings? Sure. But sometimes it’s nice to go vegan. And this is quick (minus pressing the tofu) and easy and crazy delicious. Lip smacking. Serve it with rice, or rice noodles, some blistered green beans or whatever strikes your fancy. Laura Ann’s Bourbon Blood Orange Marmalade makes this the best sticky tofu you’ll try this year.
Serves 2 - 4
Takes 45 minutes
Vegan and gluten free if you use tamari
1 one-pound block firm tofu
½ cup Laura Ann’s Bourbon Blood Orange Marmalade
5 shallots or one red onion, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons peeled and minced ginger
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Chile flakes to taste
½ bunch scallions, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced on the bias
- Slice the tofu in half along its length and then each portion into two thick slices.
- Place folded paper towels on a cutting board, then place the tofu on the paper towels.
- Place another paper towel and a cutting board on top and then add a weight. (I use cans but a heavy bowl works)
- Let the tofu drain for at least 30 minutes, then slice into bite size sticks.
- Add the shallots and ginger and stir, cooking for about 1 minute, then add the soy sauce. Simmer and stir, cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Place the tofu in the sauce in a single layer and simmer uncovered for 7 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the pieces over. Simmer for 3 or 4 minutes more and then transfer to a warmed platter.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and sprinkle with chile flakes to taste and scallions.
- Serve warm.