- Preheat your oven to 415 F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, making sure it comes up the sides.
- Trim and peel the shallots, then rinse in cold water, but don’t dry off.
- Arrange the shallots on the baking sheet and add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Roast/steam the shallots for 18 minutes, rotating the pan once.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir the fruit spread with black pepper and onion powder.
- When the shallots are soft, carefully remove from the oven and toss with the fruit spread. Return to roast for another 5 minutes, watching that they don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh herbs before serving.
The shallots will keep, covered in the refrigerator for up to five days
I did this recipe on CHEF AJ LIVE on Youtube if you want a way to make a smaller amount - I show you how! (I know 12 shallots is a lot)
These flavorful shallots can be eaten warm or room temperature as a side dish. Try slicing them up for a salad topping; mince for salad dressing or add them to a non-dairy cheese sandwich.
Recipe by Laura Ann’s Jams
Makes four servings
Takes 45 minutes
Gluten free, sugar free, salt free and vegan
- 12 medium organic shallots (about 1 ½ lbs)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup Laura Ann’s Lo-Fi Marionberry Artisan Fruit Spread (or Blackberry Bay Leaf would work too!)
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, sage or thyme for garnish